Telephone: 07 4658 1510

Exploring the Town

There is a useful map near the Romani Hall on the main street. It lists 15 places of interest around the town most of which are located on the Landsborough Highway.


twelve mile

Located 20 km south of Ilfracombe on the Ilfracombe-Isisford Road, the Twelve Mile is a rare example of 19th century bush craftsmanship being bent to the unique needs of a harsh environment. It is a reservoir created by choosing and laying thousands of flagstones so that, in an area prone to savage droughts, a leak-proof reservoir is developed. It was built by hand around 1890 and subsequently used as a watering stop for sheep and cattle, a Cobb & Co change station, and it became so important that the Royal Mail Hotel was built to service the drovers and coach drivers. The hotel operated between 1893 and 1916. There is a very detailed description of the Twelve Mile at


The Museum, sometimes referred to as The Great Machinery Mile or the Lynn Cameron Machinery Mile, is situated on the northern side of the main road. It provides a timeline of the events which shaped the area around Ilfracombe with its displays including an old police lock-up used between 1901 and 1974, a meat house, the old manual post office exchange, a machinery shed with steam engines, tractors (including a Ruston Proctor Tractor), wool balers, pumps, graders, trucks, drays, buggies, a 100-million year-old petrified palm, unusual natural limestone rocks with a remarkably rounded form and other interesting memorabilia. There is the Steam Devil a huge excavator driven by three horse powered steam engines, which runs along one railway line. Made in 1880 and sold in 1882, it is the only one remaining. There's also a 12 tonne Stuart Tank that has been converted into a dozer, the first series grader made by Caterpillar in 1935, an early 1900 Lacre Light Truck and a 1914 Republic Truck. One of the old wagons on display was drawn by up to 30 horses and capable of carting 100 bales of wool (weighing 15 to 20 tons) to coastal ports including Bowen or Rockhampton. A trek which could take three months. There is also 'Oakhampton', a cottage which was once part of the 'Lyndon' estate. It is a typical station hand's married quarters and was common on large stations before World War II.


Ilfracombe Spa

Located on Main Street as part of the swimming pool complex, the Ilfracombe Artesian Spa is open from 3.30 pm - 6.30 pm. The warm, healing waters come from the Great Artesian Basin which was first drilled around Ilfracombe back in 1897. For more information check at the office which is open from 8.45 am - 4.45 pm tel: (07) 4658 2233. Check for more details.


Located 19 km north of Ilfracombe, Beaconsfield Station has the ruins of a revolutionary sheep wash which is listed in the Queensland Heritage Register. As it explains: "The remains of the sheep wash are on the bank of an intermittently dry creek; the dam that retained the water there was washed away in a flood. The visible remains of the sheep washing process comprise a circle of timber stumps, which supported the turning loop of the twin rails from the wash to the shearing shed and which encircled the draining yard. Miscellaneous machinery survives including a 61cm centrifugal pump made by Robinson Bros & Co. (patent 1882) of Melbourne, jets under which the sheep were washed, and the end of the pump with a column to a head of pressure.

It is important to the development of sheep grazing in the area that the property devised a sheep wash which consisted of a trench which was filled with water from a dam built across Brutus Creek. The sheep were washed in this trench by a combination of steam and scrubbing. The washed sheep were then transported towards the shearing shed by means of trolleys which were driven by steam power. The trolleys travelled along rails. Although it is nothing but ruins now it is an important reminder that in the 1890s this isolated area of Australia was at the forefront of wool technology. For more detailed information check out If you want to see the ruins contact the Wellshot Centre.


Bottle Museum

Over the years Hilton Jackson collected bottles, buttons, scissors, stones, toothpaste, camp ovens, rabbit traps and a stack of other rarities which fill their shed, yard and fence line. Hilton's Corner and Bottle Museum is a fascinating and unusual private museum. The sign on the museum notes "Hilton was 42 years of age before he started collecting in 1968. Since then he has amassed a vast range of items including approximately 16,500 bottles, 41,000 buttons, 1,500 marbles, 511 neckties and 115 sets of scissors and these can be viewed in his shed on the corner of Button and Flinders Street.


Langenbaker House

Located in Mitchell Street, Langenbaker House is an early example of an Ilfracombe residence, dating from 1892. It is made of timber and corrugated iron and was occupied by the original family until 1991. The veranda features latticework made from hoop iron which was once used to tie wool packs. The house retains original furnishings and is in original condition. The story of the house is that Harry Langenbaker was one of the first teamsters to move his house to Ilfracombe. The Langenbakers settled in Ilfracombe and raised 11 children. In 1921, a tragic accident occurred, leaving one of the children, Les, blind. The house and contents were kept unchanged to allow Les to find his way around the house. The Langerbaker family remained in the house until it was purchased by the Ilfracombe Shire Council.


Romani Hall

Located on McMaster Drive this simple local hall is a tribute to the Australian Light Horse. The hall has memorabilia relating to the Light Horsemen and their battles, specifically the 2/14th Ilfracombe Light Horse Troop. The Australian Light Horse served in the Boer War and World War One.


Wellshot Centre

Located in McMaster Drive (the main street) the Wellshot Centre is the town's Visitor Information Centre as well as having displays including a 20 minute film “A Rush for Grass” which recounts the challenges faced by early pioneers and their fortitude in adapting to a harsh and fickle climate.


wellshot hotel

There was a time when Ilfracombe had three hotels. Today the only hotel left is Wellshot which dates from 1890. The facade is largely unaltered but the accommodation at the rear was rebuilt in 1956. The hotel has memorabilia which dates from the time when the town was the centre of huge sheep stations.


Log in

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me